I recently produced a series of graphite drawings as part of a submission process for a residency which has set me off on an interesting path. Here i’ll show the process used and the final works.
- 3:1 format piece of paper
- Tear random shapes out of page until just a border remains
- Number shapes
- Use a chance method to select a quantity of pieces and which pieces to use
- From a height, allow the selected pieces to land on a new 3:1 piece of paper
- Use a variety of drawing methods (graphite powder, outlines, erasing) to mark the spaces on the paper
These drawings are inspired by my 2008 visit to Ryoan-ji gardens, a series of my drawings which can be seen here and the recent John Cage Every day is a good day exhibition at BALTIC last September.